Achieving the standard
To become carbon neutral, businesses and organisations:
- calculate the greenhouse gas emissions generated by their activity, such as fuel or electricity use and travel
- reduce these emissions as much as possible by investing in new technology or changing the way they operate
- offset any remaining emissions by purchasing carbon offset units.
Once you have cancelled out your emissions you have reached a state called ‘carbon neutral’ and can be certified
To become certified, businesses enter into a licence agreement with the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources. The licence agreement includes:
- Terms and conditions for certification against the Climate Active Carbon Neutral Standard and use of the Certification Trademark
- glossary and interpretation
- fee schedule
- reporting schedule
- validation schedule.